Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Why does electricity go off when it rains?


In school i was taught India has unity in diversity. When i grew up i found what was taught to me in school is correct. However, unfortunately, there is a difference between theory and practice; as i grew up i found India is one but not because of the reasons mentioned by my school teachers.

I don’t remember much of what was taught to me in school and it really doesn’t matter anymore because i have cleared my school exams and nobody is ever gonna bother me again with theoretical questions (except in a job interview where the interviewer has no clue of what i do). The truth is India has unity in diversity because whichever part of India you will visit you will find corrupt traffic cops, few anti-bachelor neighbors and an immediate power-cut whenever it will rain in your city.

Last night, just like every other average Indian guy, i was at  home, watching pirated downloaded movie on my laptop and waiting for my dabba. The dabbawalla came, knocked on my door, yelled ‘Sir, please eat your dabba. It’s raining’ and left. I yelled back, “Okay” and wondered, what is the relationship between rain and eating your dabba at 9 pm? Since i couldn’t figure it out i decided to take help from a higher authority and decided to google it. However, before i could google it  the internet connection stopped working.  Along with internet the tubelight and fan in my room also stopped working. The darkness in my room brought to  light the reason why my dabbawalla had asked me to immediately eat my dabba, but unfortunately it was too late. Also, since it rained all night in Pune electricity supply was not restored the entire night.  Somebody has rightly said “college education is no substitute for  street-smartness. “

In the morning i woke up to a rotating fan.  The power supply  was back and this  was a huge relief to me because now i could use google. I googled for relationship between rain and power cut. This google search led to the discovery of the second question of my life which even google couldn’t answer. (The first question being ‘What women what?’)  

Google’s failure meant i had to use my brain to figure out the relationship between rain and immediate power cuts. Although i am not as intelligent or resourceful as google i gave a serious thought to what co-relationship can exist between Variable A (Rain) and Variable B (Blackout). I think the reason our state electricity boards cut power when it rains is because they consider rain as a sign from God to enforce a blackout.

I know this might not be a perfect answer because it is from me and not from google but i still hope that you will agree with me. If you don’t then please kindly enlighten me with a better reason by typing in the comment box.





1 comment:

  1. Okay lemme enlighten my buoy ;). As our India is developing country, we shud obv expect the genuine reasons for the failures. Rain is blessed in asia only and to enjoy the rain,there has to be no light and darkness also hv its charm. Dont u enjoy the phase when light goes off :). u do def. Shweta.

    ReplyDelete