Wednesday, April 18, 2018

I found a fake listing on Amazon


This happened with me on 15.04.2018, Sunday. I wanted to read Dan Brown’s Origins so I went to Amazon to buy a copy. Amazon told me the book after discount is available for Rs358. It also said that some other vendor on its platform is ready to sell it for Rs340. I calculated that it meant I could save Rs18. Nowadays for Rs18 one can’t even get a good pavbhaji but one can get a decent scoop of ice-cream. So I decided to save money for ice-cream and ordered from the cheapest seller. 

In evening I got a call from Mr. Cheapest Seller.

“You booked this Origins book from Amazon, right?” the Cheapest Seller asked.

“Yes, I did,” I replied. 

“The book we have is much more expensive than what you have ordered. You won't be able to afford it. Cancel your order.”

I think the original price of Origins’ hardcover copy is Rs799. I don’t know how the online vendor found out my financial position but I want to assure everybody who is reading this blog post that I can afford to spend Rs799 on a single book. However, if the vendor doesn’t want me to sell the book at the ordered price then I think I will take my business somewhere else instead of dealing with unscrupulous people. 

I wanted to tell the seller, “If you don’t want to sell the book at Rs340 then you shouldn’t have listed it on Amazon. Please don’t negotiate price after the order has been placed. I think this is cheating and I can’t trust any Amazon vendor anymore.”

But I didn’t

It was Sunday evening and I like to wait till Monday mornings to start acting grouchy. I told Mr. Cheapest Vendor that I will cancel the order and I did it as soon as the phone call was disconnected.

Thanks to everyone who read this blog post. I hope you have a wonderful day and don’t have to deal with a fraud online vendor ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment