Sunday, November 18, 2012

The haircut


I am an introvert. It doesn’t mean I hate people but only that I am not really good at conversations. I don’t talk much when I am with my friends and avoid talking with strangers assuming they all are Amway agents. I have always wished my barber to be an introvert like me and to me it seems it’s not love but haircutting where opposites attract. 

Today being a Sunday I decided to read few filmi magazines and hence visited a barber. When my turn came the barber asked me to sit on a chair and I told him I want a haircut and a shave. This should have been the end of discussion but unfortunately it seems ability to speak non-stop is an essential requirement for working in a Men Saloon. 

The barber half-way through the haircut asked me where you live sir. I wanted to say just do your job but the guy was giving me a haircut. Such a curt reply may lead the barber to shape my hair like David Beckham and I think I don’t have clothes to go with such a stylish hairdo. Unable to afford a new wardrobe I told the barber where I live and the barber told me he lives just 2 kms away from my home. In reply I said, “No wonder it’s such a nice locality”. 

The next question barber asked was what do you do Sir. I wanted to say currently I am working as a Gigolo. However, I was unsure if the barber understood this particular English word and I have no idea what a Gigolo is called in Hindi. So I told the barber about my work and the barber told me if the payment is good then it’s not a bad thing to do. 

The barber asked me few more questions and I dexterously replied all thereby ensuring I got a haircut appropriate for a guy who works in an office and not a rockstar. I left the barbershop hoping google will be able to answer one question which I have been asking myself ever since I started chatting with the barber and the question was how to cut one's own hair. 

3 comments:

  1. hahaha... you might not have enjoyed your hair cutting session, but I loved your description... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be a sweet coincidence, Basith, we're on the same wavelength at least on hair cutting. I had similar or ever worse encounters with armed 'barbarians'. There was this random guy who kept talking and spraying his spittle all over me... so much that he didn't have to spray water to wet my hair. What a torture when you recline on his chair with your face exposed and arms tucked under his filthy cover! I have a series of bad experiences with barbers. Once an 'anthamkammi' razed a boil off my nape in spite of my advance reminders... I left his saloon drenched in blood. What I loathe the most are their additional free services such as inserting the tip of their rusty scissors up my nose to clip my nose hair ( you can even see somebody' snot at the tip like yellow wax). As even started having self cuts but didn't last for long. Now I carry my osappetty (barber's toolbox) to the barber. If they can't use at least my combs I walk out.

    They say there are good ones somewhere in the outer space... On the earth the species of good old barbers are almost extinct.

    ReplyDelete