Friday, June 4, 2010

I wish I was not such a nice person

My first job was in Gurgaon. The person taking my interview told me that the company has a cab service and hence although I lived far away from the office, there was no need for me to worry about the chaotic Gurgaon traffic. After joining the company I realized that due to the the chaotic Gurgaon traffic I had to spend one hour sitting in the cab while going to the office and one hour sitting in the cab while coming back from the office.

Spending two hours everyday in a cab meant that when I worked for 10 hours in office, I was effectively giving 12 hours to my job, when I was working 12 hours on a single day, I was giving 14 hours to my job and when I worked 14 hours on a single day I wished if I could sleep in office.

After Gurgaon I shifted to Pune. During my interview with my current company's CFO I told her that I wanted to delay my joining by ten days because I wanted to search for a room to stay near the office. The CFO asked me what is the guarantee that you will find a room near office in ten days and I told her if I cannot find a room near office in ten days then it would mean that there were no rooms available near our office. I think my reply satisfied her because she granted me the much needed ten days delay in joining the company.

Within a week I found a room that is five minutes away from my office and have been staying alone in it irrespective of the number of suggestions I have received that staying with me will halve your rental cost. This also means one of my colleague who doesn’t stay in Pune whenever he misses his train spends the night at my room.

Tonight at around 10:00 pm I received a call from my colleague who doesn’t stay in Pune. I guessed a call from him at this time meant that he had missed his local and wanted to spend the night at my room. I thought about ignoring the call and asking him tomorrow,” Hey buddy, what happened? I saw your name in the missed calls today.” But that would have been a lie and as someone who has spend few months sitting for more than one hour in a cab wishing his room was nearer to office I had to pick up the phone and say, “Sure buddy, you are welcome. After all a friend in need is a friend indeed………ha…ha…ha”

I told my friend that he can spend the night at my room and he was in my room within five minutes. I welcomed my friend in my room and he saw a pen in my hand. He asked me what are you doing and I told him I am trying to write a blog.

My friend told me if you are trying to write a blog then shouldn’t you be sitting in front of your laptop. I wanted to tell him to stop talking like an MBA because MBAs are people who have never done any work but believe they can improve efficiency by giving suggestions that are full of jargons and never work.

I wanted to tell my friend that when I don’t have any ideas to write a blog I like to scribble something on paper. However, my friend was looking at me as if I was an uncle who regularly used stairs to reach flat no. 701 when the apartment had elevator because he wanted some exercise.  I don’t contest the argument that climbing seven floors using stairs is good for physical health. I just want to add that if you climb seven floors using stairs then surely you will get a good workout and you also need to get you head examined.

Since my friend had talked like an MBA I decided to use the time tested trick of diverting his attention so that he won’t bother me anymore. I asked him since I was not using my laptop to write a blog so would he be interested in watching a movie on my laptop.

To sum up

Dear friend, I am a nice person. Don’t do things that will make me feel that nowadays being a nice person is a mistake. 



7 comments:

  1. Well, it is not if you start to feel proud about it.
    Nice post bdw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being too nice does not pay.. My experience dude.. Keep posting. Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post from a nice person :) Loved to know the real meaning of MBA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But that's a natural question.. What being an MBA gotta do with that?

    ReplyDelete