Monday, May 24, 2010

I messed it up and I am sorry

Last Thursday afternoon I completed all the projects given to me. This meant for the next two days I would have to work on a new project. I really didn’t want to shift to a new project in the middle of a week. So I approached the VP (Production) and asked him can I have a comp-off on Friday and a leave on Saturday. The VP (Production) asked me the status of my projects and I told him all of them have been completed. The VP smiled and told me - Complete the formalities regarding your comp-off and leave and then you can go home.

I completed the formalities and walked out of the office knowing I will be enjoying a long weekend. Before leaving the office I made a very important enquiry. A colleague was getting married and I asked another colleague when the marriage is and he told me on Sunday evening.

I spend the Friday sleeping, drinking beer, reading novels and watching movies. I carried on the same routine on Saturday until 8:30 pm. At 8:30 pm my mobile rang and I saw a colleague's number being displayed on it. I prayed this may be call for a drinking party and not Abhishek we have a deadline and since we are short of resources can you come to office on Sunday.

I thought about disconnecting the call but my intuition told me that this was a drinking party call. Since drinking booze with friends doubles the fun, I decided to pick up the call. I said hello and my colleague at the other end shouted at me - Abhishek, where the fuck you are?

Listening to the tone of my colleague’s voice I knew this is not a drinking party call. I cursed myself for being stupid enough to trust my sixth sense instead of common sense and asked my colleague why he had called. In reply my colleague again shouted at me - Just answer to me, are you at home?

The tone of his voice tempted me to say I am at a movie and we can’t talk but I will surely call you back tomorrow. Unfortunately the colleague on the other end of the call is also my friend and there is no point in lying to friends because sooner or later they find out the truth and the later they know the truth, the bigger asshole they think you are. So I told him the truth that I am at home doing nothing and asked him does he want to come to my home to have a beer.

My colleague cum friend asked me what are you doing at home and I told him aren’t on a holiday, at 8:30 pm I am supposed to be at home. He told me not when one of your friends is getting married. I told him to calm down because the marriage in on Sunday and today is Saturday. My colleague told me to get my ass at the marriage venue within half hour or be ready to face the consequences on Monday.

I told my friend that I am not falling for such stupid jokes and my friend told me except you everyone in our group is present here. He then added with whom you would like to talk to confirm that you have fucked up big time. The seriousness in my friend’s voice told me that I had indeed screwed up. I thought for a while and said to my friend - Ok, I will be there in an hour and please don’t tell anybody about our conversation.

I went to the washbasin and found myself to be completely wasted. I thought about washing my face to become presentable and brushing my teeth to kill the smell of beer but realized it is a stupid idea. I love my friends but attending a marriage in a drunken condition where more than have of my office staff will be present is stupider than missing a friend’s marriage because I had screwed up the dates. Damn even SRK of MNIK wouldn’t have done that. So I went to my bed, took a beer and started watching a movie hoping that the bride develops cold feet and runs away before marriage. 

To sum up

Dear colleague I couldn’t attend your marriage, I am sorry. I wished your bride runs away so that you won’t be able to embarrass me in front of everyone during few lunches, I am sorry. What I am not sorry is that I didn’t call you to apologize for my mistake because I have no desire of writing a blog about calling a friend to apologize and he angrily disconnecting my call after saying - Abhishek, Shut the fuck up. I am on honeymoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment