Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sometimes i like to work

If work is worship then I am an atheist. Today I reached office with the knowledge that I will be working on a new project. I reached office and found that a team has a deadline on the coming Monday, is short of resources and I have been allocated to them. I asked them what work I have to do and they told me that the work that is related to my expertise. I asked where the required files are and a team member gave me the location.

I completed the work on the files in two hours and asked the team member for more files. The team member replied that the new files were not yet ready. I told her so can I do timepass for couple of hours and she said – Sure. Enjoy. New files for you will be ready around lunch.

I said thank you to her and came back to my computer. I opened my twitter account and started tweeting. The only problem is that when you know that you are going to get lots of work after two hours, you don’t know whether you are lucky or screwed.

I had lunch, came back and found there were no files available for me to work.  I asked the team member what must I do now and she told me since new joinees were working on the files it might take about two hours to reach the stage where any work will be available for me. I asked her so can I go back to doing timepass and she said - I know work is piling up, you will have to work till late night to complete it and that’s all because of us. I am really sorry.

I wanted to say to the team member that don’t feel sorry, I love to do timepass in office but that would have gone against my reputation of being a workaholic. So I told her its ok. What can you do about it? The team member said I can shout at the new joinees to work faster because due to them you are sitting idle and I said, "Leave it. New joinees are just kids. Don’t scare them." I know I acted like a jackass but given a choice between work and timepass in office, I know where my loyalties lie.

I came back to my desk to begin another round of tweeting. Few minutes later I received a mail from another team. I am involved in a project where I work sporadically because that team has limited requirement of my expertise. I read the mail and calculated it would take me about four to six hours to do the work.

Now I had two options. The team with which I work sporadically told me that the deadline for my work is Friday and the team with which I was working had officially told me to do timepass. Common sense instructed me to ignore the mail and employee loyalty said you are paid to work and not being smart enough to say you are busy when you are not.

Instead of listening to common sense or employee loyalty I decided to take the middle path. I choose to tweet while I worked. After all I have a reputation of being a workaholic and a reputation can be built but cannot be sustained if you are fake.

To sum up

I love to work. I love to tweet. I must add ability to multi-task on my CV. I can tweet while I work.



4 comments:

  1. :). ya. ur resume should include "Decidicated tweeter.Can tweet for long hours, even on weekends".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....but who told u that u r workoholic :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post, funny and comic. your twits usually sums up my life at work too! keep dem coming..

    ReplyDelete