Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chetan Bhagat rules

If you are reading this blog then I am sure you are a part of modern India. If you are a part of modern India then I am sure you have read a Chetan Bhagat novel. In fact even if are not a part modern India, you may be at a place where six hour power cut is a norm but if you are young I think you might have read a Chetan Bhagat novel.

If you are on twitter and follow more than 50 people then I am sure you would have read a Chetan Bhagat joke. Not a joke by Chetan Bhagat but a joke cracked on Chetan Bhagat saying that now Chetan Bhagat will demand credit for it or he will block it.

When Chetan Bhagat was listed among 100 most influential artists by Time, the Indian twittverse decided not to congratulate him on his achievement but went into a shock. Yes they were shocked because they couldn’t believe how come Time can even consider a person who is the owner of most hated handle in the Indian twittverse, the writer of crappy books which by the way are all bestsellers, the guy who single handedly ensured books by Indian writers get stacked next to western writers at Crossword as an artist.

The problem with Chetan Bhagat is that he does not write on Indian poverty. He doesn’t write about the sorry state of Indian villages where people starve, child marriages take place and Khap panchayat rules. He is the writer of modern India. The land where people go to office, earn a decent amount of money and dream big just like me and you do.

I think that if you have read up to here you are saying this guy is Chetan Bhagat bhakt. Ok that’s true. I have read all the novels written by Chetan Bhagat and I think all of them are good. I love Chetan Bhagat because he doesn’t write great books but because he writes books that are funny and I can enjoy them without referring to the dictionary.

To sum up

Dear Chetan Bhagat, you rule. Not the Indian twittverse but the place wherever in India books are sold.

1 comment: